Flathead Lake is a year-round campground retreat facility, focusing on empowering youth through programming and camps while also providing space for other groups or camps to enjoy our amazing facility!
Flathead Lake United Methodist Camp has been empowering youth for 100 years. It was originally titled Glacier Institute and was established in 1925 and located on Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park. In 1929 a fire destroyed the original camp and it was moved to Flathead Lake after selling the Lake McDonald property to Glacier National Park for a meer $19,300.
Today, Flathead Lake United Methodist Camp focuses on empowering youth through programming and camps and providing space for other groups or camps to enjoy our peaceful and rewarding space. Flathead Lake is a year-round campground retreat facility. The camp is bordered by 3,000 feet of pristine shoreline of Flathead Lake and is set amidst 30 acres of lush forest and grounds. Recreation opportunities include canoeing, kayaking, paddle boarding, swimming, basketball, volleyball, baseball, 9 square, gaga ball hiking, fishing, table tennis, and camp fire circle. The camp is open to church groups of all denominations, non-profit organizations, school groups, government agencies, family reunions and weddings. Facilities include 12 cabins with sleeping capacity of 160, dining hall and retreat center, restroom and shower facilities, large indoor chapel, fire pit area, outdoor chapel area, four classrooms, dock, swimming area, basketball and volleyball courts. Food services are available for groups of up to 160. The staff provides wholesome and tasty meals. Heated cabins support 50 overnight guests during the winter. Please join us for an unforgettable experience.
Early in the development of the youth movement in Montana, leaders began reaching out for wider relationships. The Epworth league as it was known at that time then held the 1st Institute for Montana in July 1920 near Wolf Creek Montana.
In 1923 Institutes were opened at Luccock Park south of Livingston and Glacier Institute on the south shore of Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park among others. After a major fire in August 1929 which burned much of the Lake McDonald Valley including the Methodist camp, a committee was formed to search for and purchase a new site.
In 1931 our present site at Rollins Montana was purchased. The total camp property includes 29 acres on a peninsula bordered by Canal Bay and Dewey Bay. Within the year the chapel, one classroom, and the faculty Lodge were constructed.
90 years later, in 2021, camping continues to evolve. Our Rollins site evolved from tent platforms and open privies to cabins with kitchens and the ability to host groups of up to 160 people. (Over 200 beds but limited by our septic ability) Styles camping have also changed. Year-round staff enables new possibilities but also requires significant financial investment.